Skip to main content

How I Survive Working From Home (with kiddos!)


I’
ve been a work-from-home mom for nearly 3.5 years. Up until a while back, I didn’t give myself credit where credit was due. I downplayed my job, not even mentioning it to people unless they specifically asked. But as I’ve rolled it over in my mind and began to see the importance of my current occupation, I’ve decided that working from home with two small children for over three years is an area where I can encourage and speak truth to other mommas through.

I am employed by a company called SimplifyChurch – which happens to be owned and operated by my brother-in-law. I work as an Account Manager and currently do all bookkeeping for 19 churches and two Christian non-profits. So 21 clients total...which is quite a few! I work anywhere from 20-30 hours a week, depending on the week (beginning of the month being the busiest). When I began this career journey three years ago, my job looked very different. I didn’t start out in the exact role I have now and also did not work as many hours. As I have changed and shifted in my role at work, it’s changed my life at home, too. Working from home with small children has been far from easy, but I’m thankful to be able to work and care for my kiddos at the same time. 

If you are a fellow momma in the trenches who needs some direction or encouragement, here’s some tips on how I survive working at home with littles!

1. Find a rhythm that works for your family. I think small children and routine go hand-in-hand, so it’s important if you have to find time to work, you keep it consistent and on routine. My kids know our routine and many days, follow it without being told. Keeping things consistent and routine for the kids helps them to know what to expect and what’s coming next in their day. Also, I share a typical day for us at the end of this post, so you can see exactly what our routine is!

2.       Learn to work efficiently and quickly. There’s no getting around this one. With kids to tend to and a house to care for, all while working, you have to learn to utilize your work time. Finding those pockets of time – screen time, naptime, early mornings, late evenings – is essential for getting things done. I did some evaluating of my day over the last few weeks, typically I would get about 20 minutes of uninterrupted work time first thing in the morning and then again right after lunch. Other than those golden 20 minutes, I was interrupted the remainder of the day at least every 10 minutes or so. You will learn to utilize your time quickly and efficiently to get your work completed. Good thing as mommas, we are already amazing multitaskers and know how to get a job done!

3.       Keep boundaries. This goes for anyone working from home. With access to the computer and work so easily at hand, it’s easy to get sucked in and think “I’ll just finish one more thing” when another two hours passes. Set your work hours and stick to them. When work time is over, shift into focusing on the kids and home, keep the work stuff for your work hours.

4.       Be honest with your employer and/or clients. One of the best things about my job is the flexibility. Without that piece, I would never be able to handle my job with my kids at home. But one thing I am sure to do is be honest with my employer and my clients about what my work day looks like. All of my clients know I have two kids at home with me. I try to let them all know this once they become my client and should we chat on the phone, I remind them they may hear little voices in the background. Because I have an awesome job with awesome clients (many of whom are in the same stage of life as me), this hasn’t been a huge deal. In fact, most of my clients enjoy hearing the little voices behind me! But I would not recommend working a job that wouldn’t be flexible and understanding of interruptions and distractions from your kids.

5.       Give yourself (and your kids) grace. You can’t expect kids to be patient and wait for two hours while you work. It’s just not who they are – and they shouldn’t have to do that unless in extreme circumstance. I remember one time, Cooper dropped a 5lb weight on Becca’s toe while I was on the phone with a client. She was screaming, he was crying too and I was about to lose my cool. Thankfully, my client also had small children and told me to call him back when I got everyone calmed down. Give yourself grace while you try to parent and work and do all the things at the same time. They will get sick at inopportune moments and they will need approximately one million things while you are on a deadline. Let them be kids, don’t expect them to not need you while you are working. Give them grace and do your best to be flexible (preaching to myself here for sure!).

A typical day for us is below. It’s not fancy or exciting, but here is how I usually break up our day!

5-7am: I get up early and shower, read my Bible, pray, and then read from my stack of current books. I also sometimes will go upstairs after I’ve finished those things and start working. It depends on my workload for the day/week.

7-8am: The kids get up around 7 and we have breakfast, watch some hockey highlights from the night before (or cartoons once hockey season is over).

8-8:30am: At this point, we head upstairs. The kids brush their teeth and get their clothes changed. I will also finish getting ready if need be. Usually by this point, I am fielding messages and emails from work while getting the kids and myself ready.

8:30-10:30am: Work time! I will work, the kids will play and watch some TV. On Monday & Wednesday, I do take Cooper to preschool so that cuts into my work time. But as soon as we get home, Becca & I go right upstairs! I try to also do at least one load of laundry a day, which I attempt to start during this time.

10:30-noon: Both the kids & I are ready for a break by this point. Two hours is plenty of independent time for them and they are ready for some attention. We use this time for errands, playing downstairs or outside and also lunch. After lunch, we head back upstairs.

Noon-2pm: Work Time! Second block of work for me for the day. I put Becca down for a nap around 12:45 and do my best to wrap up work by 2pm. Cooper enjoys a good hour of playing with his toys without Becca interrupting him! I typically try to schedule any phone calls for around 1pm, as I know Becca is usually asleep and Cooper does a great job of entertaining himself for a while.
 
After 2pm, I tackle the household chores for the day (I follow a cleaning routine), get dinner prepped, play with the kids, finish laundry, run more errands, play outside, etc. Occasionally, I will still have emails to answer, calls to make or messages from co-workers coming in. I do take those and try to respond to everything until around 3pm – I can do most of it from my phone. After 3pm, I wait until the following day to respond.

See? Nothing special. But we have a solid routine in place, which allows us freedom to enjoy the time that I am not working. It can be done, my friends! I do not do it well every day. Many days I struggle with the balancing act. This season I am in now is far easier than when Becca was a baby. I did not keep up well with work and life during that season, but we are in a good spot now. As always, we will be adjusting soon as summer is approaching and then adjusting again in August when Cooper heads to kindergarten. As soon as we get a rhythm down, something changes.

Hang in there, fellow work-at-home mommas! If God has called you to this, He will guide you through it. Submit your day to Him and allow Him to direct and walk with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :) I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commis

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar