Skip to main content

Submission

The Bible study that I am currently doing now is taking me through the Lord's prayer and showing me what each part means. The Lord's prayer is a group of "index sentences" which is supposed to show us HOW to pray (not necessarily WHAT to pray). By following these index sentences, you can then fully grasp the greatness and power of prayer.

Today I was looking at "Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven." I can quote the entire Lord's prayer (although I think I only know King James Version!) but have I ever stopped to really think about what that means? I did today!

For one, this short sentence is way of saying, "Jesus we can't wait for Your return so that Your will may be done on the new earth with You as our King." It's also saying..."while I'm waiting for that to happen, I will be submissive to your will in my life." Submission, not an easy task...for some anyway. Matthew 7:21 is a real kicker if you think about it..."Not everyone who says to me, Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven...wait a moment, stop right there. Did you get that? Not everyone who calls on the name of the Lord, not every person who claims to be a Christian and maybe not even every person sitting next to you in the pew on Sunday will enter the kingdom of heaven. Only God can see our hearts and where we stand with Him. If you continue to verse 22, it describes people waiting at the pearly gates saying, "But I did this for you Lord...I went on mission trips, I brought a dish to every funeral dinner, I helped with Bible school" (okay maybe not those exact examples but...). And still He says in verse 23, "And then I will declare to them, I never knew you, depart from me, you workers of lawlessness."

This should scare you unless you are actively living the will of God in your life. Unless you have a relationship with the Lord and are leaning on Him, doing exactly what He wants you to be doing...you may be kidding yourself. Bible school, funeral dinners and mission trips don't get you into heaven. If you continue reading in Chapter 7 through verses 24-27 it describes the story of the house built on rock and the house built on sand. We've all heard it a million times right? But is your house (life) built on rock? Is the very foundation of your life to serve Jesus Christ? Is your goal in life to know and be known by Jesus Christ?

Our purpose on this earth isn't to be successful by the world's standards...nice house, nice car, perfect little family...no, our entire purpose is to do what the Lord tells us to. To be submissive to His will in our lives. To KNOW Him and be KNOWN by Him. It's not enough for us to just know Him...who He is, what He does...we must have a relationship with Him so that we are KNOWN by Him. And when that day comes, as we enter the Kingdom He will look at us and He will say, "Hey old friend, I know you!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :) I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commis

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar