Skip to main content

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :)

I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commission. Hooray.

I received a call yesterday from a water treatment company wanting me to come for an interview. Oh geez. Another sales position - selling water softeners? Can I just call and cancel the interview now? I don't want to come across as thinking that I'm better than selling memberships over the phone for $8.50/hour. I really don't. A job is a job and at this point, any job is better than none. But can I, for just a moment, remember what it was like to have a career? How did I go from a young professional to unemployed and praying to make minimum wage in the matter of a few weeks?

A friend that I met here invited me to come to a Bible study with her on Wednesdays. I went this past Wednesday and we are just starting the book of Esther. I actually taught the book of Esther to the youth girls at FBC Ramsey last year. And isn't it amazing how something you read, study and even teach can take on a whole new meaning at different points in your life? We just started the book but I already know one thing I can learn from Esther. God used Esther for "a time such as this." He used her for a specific job, in a specific time period, with specific people. I know that God has me here, unemployed in Kansas City, for a time such as this. It's not supposed to happen any other way. Luke almost came to school here right after he graduated college 3 years ago. But he didn't...because it wasn't the right time. Now is the time God wants us here.

And God, I know You're reading this so...I'm confused. I don't know why we're here now and not 3 years ago. I don't know why the perfect job isn't just falling into my lap (maybe because I'm in a huge city and there are thousands of other people looking for the same perfect job?), but God, if You could provide some clarity for me I would appreciate it. Is it time for a career change? Do I need to go to school also (either here at Midwestern or somewhere else)? Am I supposed to take a "job" (instead of career path) in order to focus more on You and my husband's education at this time? Do I need to just relax, be patient and wait on You? (Relaxing, patience and waiting...not my strengths!)

Readers, I challenge you to read the book of Esther with me. It's really not long, just 10 chapters! Read one chapter a day for 10 days and you'll be finished. Try to figure out why God has placed you in your location, job, and time period. What is He asking of you? And I also challenge myself to remember Jeremiah 29:11. God has a plan...a great plan...His plan (not mine)...and I should just be blessed to be a part of His plan and enjoy the ride.

Comments

  1. Don't forget to read Jeremiah 29:10 with 11. Patients and prayer are key. Job or not I know that God will provide your every need. Just remember when things look dim that's when God shines the brightest. Remember Abraham, God might not let you in on where he is guiding you, but you will know when you get there. Hope you and Luke are doing well. I will keep you both in prayer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar