Skip to main content

El Salvador: Day 4

Welcome to the last day with those beautiful girls at the orphanage!

Today, we played with the girls in the morning. We also got the added pleasure of purchasing the orphanage a washing machine. Before, the owners and workers were doing all the laundry by hand! Can you imagine? 22 girls plus the workers that lived there also? By hand! Praise God we were able to do this for them! Now they can spend less time washing clothes and more time loving on those girls.

Playing with the girls
In the afternoon, we took the girls to a local park. While everyone was playing soccer and baseball, I got to walk to the grocery store with Milton to shop for lunch the next day. Crossing the street was a bit scary but we made it! The grocery store was fun. Lots of random things - it was neat to compare American grocery items to El Salvadorian items...and also note the price differences!

Baseball at the park
After the park, we piled onto the bus and everyone went to Pizza Hut. It was slightly stressful! So many little mouths to feed! And while at Pizza Hut, the unthinkable happened. Little Fannie was so tired from her busy afternoon at the park, she fell asleep sitting up in her chair. Me, being smitten with her, decided she shouldn't have to sleep sitting up so I pulled her onto my lap. It was then that I discovered her pants were kind of wet. I knew she had been playing in her soda cup on her lap so I figured it was that. After taking a better look, I noticed that the stain on her pants could only be from the fact that she had wet them. I didn't panic...I gently laid her back in the seat, stood up and said to Christina "I think I may have pee on me!" And yes, yes I did...all over my shirt, shorts, legs and hands. It all turned out okay, I went to the bathroom and washed my hands and legs off. But when we went to leave the restaurant, they just left poor, wet Fannie laying in the seat. So Victor (from our group) took one for the team and carried her out to her mom (she works at the orphanage). I think her mom wished we would have just held her all the way home!
Little Fannie asleep after I picked her up. Notice her pants! :)
We went back to the orphanage and said our good-byes. There were some tears...both from us and the girls. We kept telling them, "hasta pronto!" which means "See you soon!" Don't make me lie to those little girls...I need to see them again soon! Even if I did get their pee on me! :)

Tania at the park...just because she's so stinking cute!!!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :) I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commis

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar