Skip to main content

El Salvador: Monday

Looking back on the week, Monday was my favorite day. I was SO incredibly hot and sweaty at the time though, that I didn't appreciate the day for what it actually was.

We started out after breakfast and headed to a school. Our teams would visit 3 schools this day. The first school was a big assembly where all students gathered in the courtyard area. We partnered with a church in town where they did a drama, we shared the Gospel, Mike shared the history & played the saxophone and Randy gave an English lesson.
Outside of the school. The dark blue is a locked gate at all times. The concrete all around makes for not much airflow inside!!!
The kids waiting for the assembly to start

The second school was a walk up the road. Lucky for me, I got to hop in the back of Walter's truck and missed the walk to the school (darn!). The rest of the team was walking pretty slowly to the school when Milton (translator) told everyone to start walking faster. Now, Milton is the type of guy who when we asked how they cut blocks at the worksite, he said "in half." So many times, he likes to make jokes. He also told me my chocolate milk was made of goat's milk, which is wasn't. Anyway, most of the team said, "Whatever Milton" and kept walking at the same pace. Once inside the school building Milton got serious and said gangsters on the road were asking why we were there and what we were doing. So when he says walk faster, he means walk faster! The craziest thing is that when the gangsters found out we were sharing the Gospel, they were glad. Milton explained that they are a very spiritual group...but the gang we're speaking of is MS-13...the deadliest gang in the world. Um, I think we'll walk faster next time for sure. I sometimes take safety for granted in the US and don't think twice about someone being able to threaten me or my family. But for Milton & Walter, it's a very real thing.

Boys in the school
Luke with some of the boys

Anywho, the second school was slightly different. We broke up into groups and went into each classroom (24 of them) shared the Gospel and passed out bracelets and candy. I shared the Gospel in probably 5 classrooms. One of the rooms was just little guys, probably first or second grade, they were so much fun! I kept asking what the colors on the bracelets were and they just couldn't wait for me to get to the next one! They were all laughing and shouting, I feel bad for the teacher after we left. We got them pretty riled up!
Me sharing the Gospel
Mike giving his sax lesson
Luke Owen sharing the Gospel

Another shot of the assembly area

After that, we headed to lunch at Pizza Hut, where one team member paid $50 for salad bar! They charged him each time he went back to get more salad...the rest of us paid about $5 each for pizza! Crazy! One more school after lunch which was assembly-style again. We had drama, saxophone playing, English lessons and the Gospel presented. Our team rested that night, something about being in the heat really took it out of us. We had a pretty relaxed night! However, on that day in about 6 hours, over 2,000 students and teachers heard the Word of God. Granted, we were only in each room about 10 minutes so it was a quick version but still, how amazing is that?! The fact that the teachers and administration were willing to let a bunch of Americans in their classrooms and give up teaching time is not something you would find in America - especially when it has to do with religion! This was my favorite day because, as I get ready to head into my own classroom again I am reminded that while I cannot stand in front of my students with a colored bracelet and explain the Gospel, I can live it each day in my classroom. Through living it, hopefully I will be able to share it with my students.
Jason sharing his testimony


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :) I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commis

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar