Skip to main content

Trust Your Gut

Hey everyone! Can you believe summer is almost over? I must say this summer has flown by and it's been so. stinking. hot. I pray that fall will come soon - although I'm sure it wont!

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update on the Henry family. Remember when I wrote this...it was in May...

"Anyway, Luke took a new job at Dick's Sporting Goods that is full-time, going to provide really good, super cheap insurance and a larger paycheck.  However, this job is, like mentioned above, full-time. Which cramps his seminary style. He'll still be going - but it will be more online and evening classes and possibly part-time. Fast forward a couple weeks and I land a teaching job for the fall. Is it sad that we are so excited and think we'll be so financially secure from a teaching salary?! So, beginning with my first paycheck in September, we won't NEED Luke's income from DSG to get us by (but we do WANT it!)." - Quoted from May's blog titled Obedience.

I was talking about how seemingly good things can also distract and hinder us from what God wants us to be doing. Well....Luke's last day at Dick's Sporting Goods is next Saturday. I know. Bummer. Good-bye super cheap insurance and a bigger paycheck. In May, I had a gut feeling about this and I was right. We moved to KC for Luke to attend seminary. We do love it here and I have a hunch that when he gets done with school (whenever that may be), we may continue to live here. Don't tell my parents. ;) BUT....for right now, we are here for seminary. And seminary has to be one of our top priorities. Not cheap insurance, not a full-time job, not even a job where we get to be around sporty things. Nope, seminary is it. Unfortunately, there were about 2 classes Luke could take while working at DSG and they were both evening. 

He went and spoke to his manager at LifeWay and she was willing to reinstate him immediately doing exactly what he was doing before with the same pay. So, he's going back to that part-time. Also, Luke has begun looking for youth ministry positions in the area. In a perfect world, he won't have to work at LifeWay too terribly long because a church will snatch him up. I believe he's already applied to about 5 positions so far. 

So be in prayer for us. We will now have to purchase insurance for Luke (I can get mine through the school but adding Luke is like $500/month). We will also have less income - including the fact that I don't get paid from the school until September 15. Also pray that Luke will receive a ministry position and that it will be the perfect one God has lined up for us. 

God sure has kept us on our toes this past year...I have stopped trying to guess what's coming next!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :) I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commis

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar