Skip to main content

Henry Family Update

Wow friends, I have been a serious blogging slacker! Life has been so incredibly busy over the past month and a half. Blogging has crossed my mind, but actually taking the time to do it obviously hasn't happened.

I started teaching at Pleasant Ridge High School in August. I am loving my job. It is a little bit of a commute (about 40 minutes one way) but the kids and my co-workers are definitely worth it. It's a small, farming community so I feel right at home there. My days are crazy busy! I have 5 class periods before lunch (which also means I'm starving by lunch time!). I also travel between 3 classrooms. After lunch I have my prep period and one more class. So my afternoons are super quick. I am teaching 4 different subjects (Computer Applications, Digital Multimedia, Graphic Design & Entrepreneurship), along with a Personal Finance 30-minute, 2-day a week course for juniors. The kids are great! I have had very little discipline problems without having to be really very mean at all. They are really respectful. And I kind of feel like if I was going to have issues, I would be seeing them by now. We've been in school a month. Needless to say, I'm super blessed to have gotten this job and I really do look forward to many more years at PRHS!

Many changes have come Luke's way also in the past month and a half. We realized when school was about to begin that Dick's wasn't going to work around his schedule, at all. We had to have a meeting together to determine if school or work was more important for him. We decided that we were here for seminary and seminary it would be. Luke went and spoke with his previous manager at LifeWay, who graciously offered him his job back, and put his two weeks notice in at Dick's. While in El Salvador in July, Luke confessed that he felt as though he was running away from what he was supposed to be doing - youth ministry. So once we returned, Luke searched for and applied to a couple of youth ministry jobs in the area. While talking to a guy we went church with (who happens to be the Director of Missions for the association), he offered to put Luke's resume in the hands of some pastors who were needing youth ministers. About two days later, Luke got a call from Michael at Providence Baptist Church. Two weeks later we were interviewing for the job and just a couple days after that, we accepted the position. The position is a pastoral intern with an emphasis on youth. It is a part-time position which allows Luke plenty of time for school and he can pick up a few shifts at LifeWay if he wants to. Luke will work closely with the pastor (who happens to be around our age, married, with no kiddos yet - how convenient!) and also build the youth group. The church is growing every Sunday and has great potential to establish an amazing youth group. Our first "day" on the job was Wednesday and we pretty much just got to know some of the youth. It has been really hard to leave Northland though. We have enjoyed over a year at that church - making amazing friends and going to El Salvador twice. The great thing about this new job though, is that we're staying right here. We can build new friendships there, while continuing the ones we already have made at Northland.

Luke and I are also doing something pretty crazy for us starting Monday. Have you ever heard of the Daniel Fast? Well, starting Monday, Luke and I are going to begin the 21-day fast. Like Daniel in the Bible, we will not be allowed meat, dairy, starch, caffeine, sweets or anything unnatural. For someone who has never even been on a diet in her life, this is going to be tough. We are shooting for the entire 21 days but taking it just one day at a time. I really hope to learn some discipline when it comes to eating through this fast. No, I am not fat but...I have definitely gained some weight in the past year. Weight that can be avoided if I learn to limit and control my portions. I need to learn to respect my body through food and fuel it, not fill it with unhealthy things!

My plan is to find the time to blog at least every other day or so while we are doing the fast. There is a devotional that you can do during the fast, but I am just focusing on spending more time in the Word than I do on Pinterest. Seriously, it's an addiction. So I'll also be giving up Pinterest for 21 days. Mostly because I just find delicious, unhealthy recipes while on there and that will not be good! Pray for us as we engage in this fast. Also pray for Luke and I at this new church and as we step back into the limelight of ministry.


Comments

  1. Hey Bri!
    I'm just wondering how your job is going and how your fast is going? I try to look on your blog every now and again to see how you are!

    --Shelley

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :) I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commis

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar