Skip to main content

Forgiveness

Disclaimer: I am not here to complain about my job - although it may seem like that upon reading these first couple paragraphs. Most days I love my job! I am here to show you the difference between a lost person and a person who knows the complete forgiveness and grace of God. 

This past Sunday, Pastor Michael preached about forgiveness. He challenged us to read a passage of Scripture and write a paragraph thanking God for His complete forgiveness. He also challenged us (read: me) with ACCEPTING the forgiveness God has given me. My sins are washed away, completely forgotten by God, never to be brought up again. How amazing is that? I spent Sunday going back to the morning's sermon and just being grateful for the fact that I have been forgiven AND that I can forgive others through the grace, mercy and forgiveness God has granted me.

Fast forward to Monday morning. I don't want to go into too much detail here but, my place of employment needs Jesus. There is a Jesus-sized whole in that building. Many of my co-workers are lost and my students, well they are lost also. You get the picture. I am presented with a situation (not the first time) where I am under the spotlight for something I didn't do correctly. As usual, I feel as though I need to defend myself and plead my case, when really, I made an honest mistake and overlooked something. Time and time again I am stressed and frustrated at work because of making a minor mistake, being confronted about it, feeling defeated, and then being treated differently. Time and time again I have gotten angry with my superiors for pointing out my mistakes and telling me how I messed up again. Time and time again I feel as though I am always in trouble at work. Time and time again I am reminded of something I didn't do perfectly. Time and time again I do something WELL and instead of being praised or encouraged, I am told how it could have been better and of course, there's always something I did wrong.

BAM! Then Monday on the drive home, it hit me. I am commanded to love as Christ loves me. I am commanded to forgive seventy times seven times. I KNOW (although it is hard to fathom) complete forgiveness and freedom of guilt and sin. I know the grace and mercy of being given chances, of desiring to extend grace, mercy, forgiveness and love to others. Some of my co-workers and superiors don't know this. They don't have that freedom, grace and mercy. They don't know what it feels like to be free. Let me say that again...they don't know what it's like to be truly forgiven. They don't fathom grace and mercy. Second chances and do-overs. No guilt and no shame. Nope, they have no clue what they are missing.

How can I be angry with them for pointing out my mistakes? For not forgetting the tiny details? For placing a spotlight on my life and how I live? How can I expect them to forgive me, to extend grace and mercy, when they have no concept of what those words truly mean. I am still wrapping my mind around this concept. And maybe it doesn't blow you away like it has blown me away the past couple days. It has changed my whole perspective on the issues I deal with at work. Instead of being angry, my heart is broken. Instead of being frustrated with myself and others, I am seeking wisdom to deal with these situations so that God is truly displayed and glorified. I want them to notice that I handle situations differently than they would. That no matter how many times they knock me down, I still show them forgiveness, grace and mercy.

I pray that I am different. I pray for their lost souls. I pray they will seek forgiveness, grace and mercy. I pray they will have a change of heart and begin to extend forgiveness, grace and mercy to others instead of tearing others down to make themselves feel good. I pray for their lives, which I assume must be miserable without the forgiveness, grace and mercy that I take for granted. I pray, I pray and I pray that God has me at this school for reasons He only knows. I pray that I make a difference! I pray that I handle myself in a Godly manner every moment, every minute of every day. I ask that you join me in prayer for my school...for my co-workers, superiors and students. That someday soon, they will know the forgiveness, grace and mercy that is made perfect through Jesus my Savior.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :) I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commis

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar