Skip to main content

To My Church


First Baptist Church Fairview Heights,
There are things I want you to know. These things are so important to me. I believe it’s good for my church to know my heart. Lord knows I am up on that stage hounding you all about something more often than not, so my blog shall be my forum for now. Five things I would love for you to know.

1.     I never pictured myself doing this. If we could go back ten years and tell 19-year-old Brianne Hayes that she would someday be married to a youth pastor, I would have laughed. Not that I didn’t love Jesus or desire to serve Him, but simply because I had other plans in mind. The Bri from ten years ago wouldn’t have been able to fathom the life that 2015 Bri is living because it’s just so incredibly different from what my plans were. Being married to a pastor is different than being a member of a church. Living in Kansas City and the Metro East St. Louis area is a far cry from Ramsey – town of 1100. And I never saw myself leaving there. Don’t get me wrong, I love my life and I am so thankful the Lord has placed me where I am. But please remember that this whole pastor’s wife thing is something I didn’t exactly see coming.
2.     I am real. This is my mantra. The Bri you see on the video announcements is the Bri that walks the halls. The Bri that laughs and jokes with the students is the Bri sitting in the pew on Sunday mornings. I don’t want different people to know a different me. My desire is to be the same. And that comes at a price, because the real me is sometimes not that great to be around. My natural instinct is to complain when something doesn’t go my way, to get frustrated when a situation I cannot control arises and to pass judgment on others when they do something I don’t like. But that’s all a part of being real. If you viewed me as perfect, then I would definitely be doing something wrong in not showing the real me. So don’t expect perfection, because I am real. And real people aren’t perfect.
3.     I am invested in you. We have been blessed to be on staff at three different churches. At each church, I was highly invested in the youth group (for quite obvious reasons). I also played the piano from time to time, but that was the extent of my investment. From co-coordinating MOPS to serving on the Early Childhood committee to working with the youth to being the face of the video announcements to being a member of the Merry Widows committee to building genuine relationships with other members to meeting weekly with a group (outside of church) to study God’s Word to praying regularly with a small group of women for our kids, marriages and our church – I am incredibly invested. My heart’s desire is to see you thrive, not of man’s accord, but because God is moving and working among us. At times, I fear I am too invested but I am ridiculously for you, First Baptist Church Fairview Heights. And being ridiculously for you means I can’t sit in the background and let everyone else do the work. I can’t wait to see God do great things in our church – He will.
4.     I love you, even though you are broken. Let’s face it - we are all broken. Some of us have one giant crack right through us, others have small fissures all over and still others are completely shattered. And if broken people make up a church, then the church is also broken. I don’t expect you to NOT be broken. So let’s not pretend. You know your areas of weakness, as I just mentioned mine above. Let’s extend grace to one another. Before complaining or attacking, let’s consider praying. Let’s approach each other in love and not in a spirit of anger. All of those things I know I need to work on. Sometimes I struggle with loving you, especially if you mess with my husband. I’m just being real here – it’s so hard to love you when you do that. I work really hard to look past that and continue to love. I ask that you do the same – not just for the sake of my family – but also for our church as a whole. Let’s just love each other abundantly. Let’s outdo one another in good works. Let’s be brave enough to show our brokenness so others can work with us to bring healing.
5.     God is in our church. Whether you notice or not, God is working. As I mentioned above, I meet regularly with a group of women, who serve as my accountability and prayer partners. We share the super hard struggles. We share the silly stuff. We cry together, we laugh together, we celebrate together and we mourn together.  Our husbands also meet to do the same thing. Although there’s probably less giggling and tears when they meet! I also meet with a group to do Bible study during the week. This is something completely outside of the Sunday and Wednesday regular stuff. Meeting to talk about Jesus on a day other than Sunday or Wednesday? Pretty insane, I know. But God is using these groups to bring change. We have fully surrendered ourselves to the Lord, trusting He will use us to bring about His work in our church. Be aware – we’re ready and willing. And God is working. Won’t you join Him?

And there is my heart on this Tuesday evening. I love you and I am for you, First Baptist Church Fairview Heights. Let’s do this thing called life together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :) I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commis

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar