Skip to main content

Change: It Starts With Me

I
s change in a church necessary? In a word, absolutely.  I believe this with every part of me. I am championing this in my church and would love to encourage you to lead the charge of change at your church. But first, let me back up for a minute..these are fresh revelations I’ve recently began to dig into and I’d love for you to work through these with me.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you can agree quickly with me that our world is constantly changing. The way the world is, the things the world does, the latest trends, the thought processes of people in the world are constantly changing. And so my underlying question is - what is the Church doing about this change? Are we keeping up with what’s going on in the world so we best know how to serve our members and appeal to the ones outside the church? Are we aware of the effects the changes in the world has on our church? I stand ready. I am ready to figure out how to make my church a place that, instead of fearing the what the world is becoming, figures out how to manage those changes to make our church a more welcoming place for those in the world.





I stand ready to change MY church, but I cannot change your church. Why? Because the church is only as healthy as the members God has placed inside her. Making your church a welcoming, gospel-centered, safe-haven is your job. The individual. The believer. The church member. As believers we are all going through the process of sanctification. Becoming more Christ-like. We should be able to pinpoint areas of our life where Christ is shifting us, transforming us and challenging us. The Bri typing these words would not have typed these words one year ago, she wasn’t ready. But now He’s brought me here and hopefully, in another year, I’ll be at a totally different place where God’s challenging me in new ways. When we walk closely with Christ, He does not fail to transform us to be more like Him.

The changes & transformations that Christ performs in us spills over into our church. We begin to see the broken and lost around us. We get wild ideas like “I want to start a ministry to my community,” “I don’t think our style of worship is comfortable for the unbeliever, maybe we should try something different,” “I’m going to step up and serve in this area of my church,” “I’m going to meet with the pastor about teaching this Bible study.” I could go on and on of different examples. Personally, God working in my heart has spurred me to do many things I never dreamed…teaching, leading, beginning a ministry from the ground up, stepping into the role of lead pastor’s wife (and you guys, loving it) and most recently, taking a plunge into becoming more disciplined and consistent in writing to share my heart and what God is teaching me.

So to start out our series on change in the church, I’d like for you to know that change in our church, transforming our churches to reach the lost and dying world around us, begins with me and you. We cannot expect our churches to reach the community around them, if we are not letting God change and grow us as individuals.

Application Questions:
  • How have I changed because of my relationship with Christ in the last year?
  • How has growing more like Christ spurred change in my church?
  • If you cannot answer either of those questions easily (or at all), then I challenge you to begin to determine the barriers between yourself and Christ. Have you accepted Him as your Lord and Savior? Are you spending time with Him through consistent Bible reading & prayer? Are you part of a community of believers? Are you resistant to His prodding to transform your heart? Is there sin in the way? Spend time in serious thought over these questions. Lay your burdens, your worries and your sins at His feet and let Him begin to work in your heart. You, and your church, will never be the same again.
  • How has my church changed in the past year? If there hasn’t been much change, then prayerfully consider the reasons behind that. Has everyone fallen into routine? Are you wishing for the “good old days” instead of accepting that God has you here and now for a purpose? Is there a group of on-fire people trying to make change but getting pushback and giving up? Consider these questions and then consider how you can bring encouragement and fresh changes to your church.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :) I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commis

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar