Skip to main content

Change: What Changes & What Doesn't

W
e’ve covered a ton of ground. I wanted to lay a framework for us to understand that change has been a consistent thing in the church. Maybe it will help us see change as a welcome thing, not something to be afraid of. I wholeheartedly believe a church that isn’t changing is a church that is dying. Know that a church should not be constantly switching programs in and out, but churches should regularly (most likely on a yearly basis) evaluate their programs and practices to determine if they are effective in meeting the vision and mission of the church. Here’s where the change comes in - if the programs and practices are determined ineffective when evaluated, the church then takes necessary steps to adjust or transform to meet the vision and mission. The church doesn’t just say “this is the way we’ve always done it” or “We don't have enough volunteers/money/space/energy/creativity to change things.” The church works together under the common goal of meeting the vision and mission.


It’s also very necessary to mention here that while programs and practices may change, the Gospel never changes. If there is one consistency in all this, it’s the pure Truth of the Gospel message. Hebrews 13:8 tell us that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. Jesus Christ is the ONLY way (John 14:6), salvation in and through Him is our only hope. God’s Word is relevant for me, for you and for now. So the foundations of the truth we proclaim is unchanging (thank you Jesus for being constant!), but the methods for proclaiming these truths to people around us does change.

One example, I know millennials are question-asking people, who need to see authenticity before we jump into anything. We need to know the WHY behind all the things (and honestly, rightfully so - we should be able to explain the why). Don’t tell us to read our Bibles because that’s what we are supposed to do. Don’t tell me to pray because Christians should. Don’t show up to church in your Sunday morning perfection, live a wreck of a life Monday through Saturday and expect us to want any part of it. A generation or two ago, children would obey their parents and do all the things listed above just because that’s what they were told to do. And for them, it sometimes worked. But it also created a fake faith for many people. Checking the boxes and doing all the right things, while missing out on the actual relationship portion of our faith will not work with my generation. Digging deep and teaching biblical hard truths is what we crave. Show me your wreck of a life and follow it up with how Jesus is transforming it - that I can get behind. Read the Bible with me and teach me how to let it change me. Model an authentic prayer life and bring me in to pray with you. Tell me how God has been faithful to answer your prayers time and time again. We crave real community. You see, we’ve grown up in broken homes, our relationship with our blood family is sometimes strained and quite a few of us have moved away from our hometown and our families. While we long to be a part of something, we also need to see authenticity. We have faced hurt and have a hard time trusting people. Allow us into your home to see what real life is like as a Christian. Let us discuss theology and hard things over coffee while our children play at our feet. We want to do life together. And friends, doing life together is much harder than showing up on Sunday, cracking open a Bible for a few minutes, answering some questions superficially, smiling and heading home. Want to reach my generation for Christ? Building genuine community is the only way to do it.


So, in closing, yes the church needs to be changing. But we must always remain constant under the banner of the Gospel. Evaluate all the things - programs, events, processes, practices, traditions, music, preaching, decor - on a regular basis, making sure everything is hitting the mark of your church vision while staying within the Word of God. Secondly, build real relationships. I feel this is a major shift change from church, at least as I’ve known it in my life. It’s not all about the Sunday mornings anymore - it’s about the day to day living. So open up your home, open up your life and let people in. Show them the radical transforming grace of Jesus. We cannot say no to that.

Application Questions:
  1. When was the last time your church evaluated it’s programs and practices? If you are a ministry leader or serve in a ministry at your church, schedule a time to evaluate the ministry and see if it’s reaching the vision and mission of the church. (PS - I have some resources to help with this and I’d be happy to share them with you!)
  2. What are some active steps you can take TODAY to do life together with others? Can you open your home? Invite someone to coffee?
  3. When was the last time you had a meaningful conversation with someone of a different generation than you? One of the most beautiful (and honestly, I believe pleasing to the Lord) things is a multi-generational church. How can you seek out members of other generations and engage with them?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :) I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commis

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar