Skip to main content

Do You?

Do you ever put words into God's mouth? Do you pretend like He's telling you something when maybe He's really not? Or do you get super excited about a possibility and tell yourself, "Yes, I believe this is the plan that God has for me!" Maybe it's just me that does this, not you.

I have been absolutely overwhelmed with career possibilities, job opportunities, going back to school and such since we moved out here. I have prayed about it, pondered over it and did lots of Google searches. But what if I have it wrong?  What if I'm putting my two cents in and NOT listening to what God is telling me?

For the past month or two, I've been consumed by becoming a financial adviser. Anything in the financial world, really. I've even applied for secretarial positions at financial firms just to get my foot in the door. And I got nothing. I seriously thought my life plan was to become a financial adviser. Do you know what financial advisers do? I do, because I've researched...I've done phone interviews...and heck, we even have a financial adviser and it still didn't sink it. They sell stuff...they are salespeople! Mutual funds, stocks, investments, insurance. Is that what I desire to do? Is that my passion? 100% NO! That's not even close to what I want to do! I talked on the phone to a recruiter for a financial company out here last week...I told her what I want to do. Her words, plain and simple were, "That's a wonderful thing and a valuable thing, but you won't make any money doing that. That's not what we do here." At first, I was mad, disappointed and really frustrated. So my impatient self says, "Well, back to square one God...I thought this was what You wanted and now what the heck do You want me to do here????"

Let me just tell you what I want to do so you aren't in the dark here. I want to help people with their finances. I want them to come to me with their bills and their income. I want to sit down with them and work together to create a budget. I want to get them out of debt and show them how to use their money for the Lord. I want to TEACH them personal finance tools, TEACH them how to use their money and TEACH them that they can be free from financial baggage. I don't want to sell things to them. I don't want people who have money to invest, I want to help people who struggle to pay their bills and who want guidance in the financial realm. Is that what a financial adviser does? Not so much. Not the type I've found anyway.

I have talked with a good friend who mentioned that maybe this passion of mine isn't a career...maybe it's a ministry. Maybe that's where God wants to use me in His ministry, serving Him. I am a teacher, I want to educate people...not sell them things. There's an opportunity that has been presented to me to possibly do exactly what I mentioned above through a new program at our church. I've known about it for a week or two, but didn't even realize that maybe I should be satisfied with that. Fulfilling my passion through a ministry, not through a career path. And if this ministry turns into a career, then wonderful! And if not, I'll continue to serve my Lord through the passion He has blessed me with and also continue to search for a better job.

I just know that I should be happy where I am. I have a job that pays the bills. Luke and I are happy here, we are both healthy and our marriage has only been strengthened through the past few months. I shouldn't worry or care about what I do for a living. I should only care about what I'm doing for the Lord. I believe that He is calling me to help people financially. I believe this is a ministry tool that is lacking in our country. I believe that people would use these types of services if they were offered. And truthfully, I am confident that I possess the knowledge, experience and passion to make this happen.

Jesus, please use me here...show me where You want me...provide me with the wisdom and discernment to figure out how to make this passion of mine a reality. Jesus, please take away the worry of my career "status," help me not to cringe when people ask what I do for a living. Help me to proudly announce that I am working for the Lord, serving Him through my job at Olive Garden, while also seeking new and exciting ministry opportunities. God, I thank you so much for the jobs you have provided for Luke and I...for the friends we have made here...and just for the ability to simply move here. You are an amazing God and I know this adventure I'm on will be one that I won't want to miss. In Your precious Son's name, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :) I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commis

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar