Skip to main content

Enjoy the Moment

Good morning blog-reading friends! I hope this Thursday finds you happy and healthy!

I recently wrote a Facebook post that said this, "Do I take advantage of half-price tuition at Midwestern and get my Master's in Christian Education? Do I pursue a career in finance? Or do I simply wait and try for a teaching job again next year? Ugh, the decisions I must make!!!!" Moving to Kansas City has been such a whirlwind. It's a fresh start...I can change careers, I can go back to school, I can basically do whatever I want. It's a re-do, fully and completely. Some people welcome a new start, some people wish they could start over at the ripe old age of 24. But me? It stresses me out...way too much! A few people wrote back saying to pray and have patience (yeah, I've been doing that for over 2 months here!). But my brother-in-law wrote, "Relax and enjoy the point of life where you are at."

I don't like admitting Josh is right. And when I first read it, I thought to myself, "Yeah enjoy freaking out about what I'm going to do with my life? Enjoy working 9 hours a day and every weekend?" Then my mom called and said, "You know, I think Josh was right." He is, dang it! And don't you go getting a big head over this Josh Henry! :) I know that I wasn't brought to KC to waitress at Olive Garden for five years. But it's been a darn good job in the transition. I make enough money, it keeps me busy, they work with my schedule and it provides new friendships and opportunities to share Christ with my co-workers. I fully believe that God has a job waiting for me, somewhere...a great job that I will enjoy and have success in...it's just not time for that job yet.

I've been playing phone tag with a financial company about a Financial Adviser position. It seems that she calls me, I call her, she calls me again, I call her back...but we haven't been able to talk yet. It's been 4 days of phone tag. Is that a sign that I'm not supposed to pursue that job? If I knew I'd be working at Olive Garden for an extended time period, I would go ahead and start working towards my Master's in Christian Education here at the seminary. Why not? I get half-price tuition and have a flexible schedule at work. But I don't know these things. I don't know if the financial job will work out. I don't know if I want my Master's in Christian Education (seminary classes are tough!) and I don't know if I still want to be a teacher.

But what I do know is the God has a great plan, a wonderful plan...a plan not to harm me and one in which I will prosper. I just have to enjoy the moment and wait for the plan. Waiting isn't something I'm fond of...patience is not a virtue I have mastered yet. So I will continue to wait and to seek God's plan for my life. The answers will come in His perfect timing. And then I will know...finance? Master's degree? teaching? Who knows...but whatever it is...it will be awesome!

Please continue to pray for us as we both start school on Monday. Luke is taking three classes (Greek, Baptist History and History of Christianity). He has classes Monday, Tuesday and Thursday mornings. I will be participating in a women's Bible study on Monday nights and taking one class on Tuesday nights through the Wisdom program on campus. The program is for wives of seminary students. I am taking Old Testament. We are also in the process of joining a great church here in KC. It's a really awesome, missions-minded church and we are both excited to get involved!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :) I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commis

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar