Skip to main content

Not Bummed

My last post was titled "Bummed." So this one is going to be the opposite of Bummed! Can we say stoked? Is that a little too 90's (maybe even 80's)? Most of you saw on my Facebook page last week that I got a job...now I didn't just get any teaching job. I feel like I got the most perfect position possible (but I haven't met the kids yet!).

I will be teaching at Pleasant Ridge High School in Easton, Kansas. This is about a 40 minute drive for me, however there is quite a bit of road construction so I'm hoping a few minutes will come off once that's finished. The school is literally in a field. The middle school is a short walk through the parking lot (sound familiar?) and the elementary school is just right down the road. There's about 250 students in the high school. I will be teaching Computer Applications, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media and Desktop Publishing. I will also be sponsoring FBLA. I'm pretty pumped! There is another business teacher (who I met and she chose ME for the job) who's been teaching for 25 years, so I will be surrounded by a wealth of knowledge. I toured the school with another teacher and noticed that many of their teachers are young, which means they are not afraid of change and growth. My classroom has pretty great technology, the kids wear cowboy boots and most of them live in the farm. What could be better?! I was asked in my first interview if I would leave should a job in a bigger school district come open...my answer...NO WAY! I love small schools...the family atmosphere. Oh, and this school pays 75% of tuition for continuing education. I'm seeing a Master's degree in my near future! Another added bonus, Kansas pay is slightly better than Missouri. :)

I am very excited and while I was getting (very!) bummed, I have once again been shown God's provision and care for me. While many of the other schools I applied and even interviewed with would have been great places to work, this school really felt like home - their mascot is even the RAMS! I know it won't be all roses every day, but God chose this place for me. I know He did. He was teaching me to wait patiently on Him until this perfect position became available.

Luke's work hours are changing once the semester is over (next week!)...he will only be working one evening a week (and he'll be off at 7:30). And we thought he was going to have to work every Saturday for the rest of our lives (maybe I was being a little dramatic) but he will get one Saturday off a month starting with Memorial Day weekend.  If we can survive through the summer, our financial outlook will get a much-needed facelift (thank you Jesus!) and my budget can change from negative numbers to a little surplus for savings. I already have a list of things to save for starting in September. And Lordy, how would we have made it without already living on a budget for 2 years before we moved here...thank you FBC Ramsey for having the Dave Ramsey class!

Friends, it has been a rough year (can you believe we've been here almost a year?!). But things are coming together. Our marriage has survived some tough times I would say...and we haven't just survived the past year, our marriage has honestly thrived. I'm sure this isn't the last of our tough times, there's probably rougher things ahead. But we can do it, I can do it. God will provide, just like He has for the past 12 months. :)

Comments

  1. I'm so thrilled for you guys! Praying as you start this new position next year! God's timing is always perfect and thank goodness He is in charge!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :) I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commis

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar