Skip to main content

Our Fifth Home in Three Years...

I realized that I never posted pictures of where we are living now. Originally upon moving to KC, we lived in an apartment on the seminary campus. I posted pics of that precious, miniature apartment when we first got here :) Oh, and how did we get to five homes? Well, the "bat" house we rented in Ramsey, the house we bought in Ramsey, upstairs apartment on campus, downstairs apartment on campus and number 5 - the duplex. Wow!

In December (I know that was 5 months ago!), we couldn't take the 700 square foot apartment anymore! Well, maybe I couldn't take it but friends, coming from a 1400 square foot 3-bedroom, 2 bath home...with a giant kitchen, garage, shed, yard....ohhhhhh, I still miss our house SO much! :( Anyway, I refused to cook and/or bake in our apartment because the small kitchen stressed me out so much. And if you know me, you know that's a big deal because I love to bake!!!!

BUT, back to the point, we moved into a duplex about 15 minutes campus right before Christmas and jetting off to El Salvador. In all the hustle and bustle, I must have forgotten to post pictures. We spent the last two days doing lots of rearranging and organizing on the main floor of the duplex. Why you ask? Well, sometimes I tend to dream a little big. I sort of figured we would be able to move (again?) after just living here a year, which would be in December. Fortunately, by December, we will have a much better financial picture, but we won't be quite ready buy a house. So, I have come to the realization that we'll be here for probably another year and a half or so. Might as well make the space like home then, huh? We have 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, as of right now 2 living rooms (one which would become an office/guest room if a baby ever lives here with us!) and a garage. Our garage is currently filled with boxes from organizing the storage area in the basement. Oh, did I mention we have a washer and dryer too? Oh, that apartment...I am just not cut out for seminary life, not a good seminary wife!!!!

The only negative to the duplex is that it's on 4 levels. Lots of steps! The main level houses living room number 1 (which before yesterday was a dining room with a couch in it) and the kitchen. Go upstairs to the two bedrooms and one bathroom. Down from the main level is the garage and living room number 2 (we'll call that the "man cave") and then down a few more steps from that is a storage area, nook area (which I use as a home for my jewelry business), bathroom and laundry area. There are many people near and around us that have families in the duplex...our shared-wall neighbors have two kids and just down the street is a family with 3 children. Once again, I don't know how they do it! It could be a possibility that we may have one kiddo here (no, not anytime soon) but we'll see. I would really like to own a home again in the near-ish future!

Anyway...here's some pictures...(I wish I had before pictures for you!)

This is what you see when walking in the front door. Living room #1.
You can barely see a light hanging in the left corner...that's where our kitchen table used to be. This is the other half of the room pictured above. Now we've turned the area into a library, if you will. Still searching for a round storage ottoman to go under the light (those suckers are expensive!)
View from kitchen into living room #1. You can barely see the pallet housing pictures on the far wall. Another one of my favorite things in the house!
The kitchen is much bigger than the apartment, but still not huge. Especially with the table in it now!
Other half of the kitchen. That giant white wall is begging for something on it!
Where we spend most of our time, in front of the TV! Until yesterday, the coffee table was where that cute little bench is. The bench takes up SO much less space, really opening the room up. This room also houses Luke's football and baseball jersey's on the walls, along with lots of sports memorabilia. There's even a sign that says "Stadium Entrance" above the entry. A "man cave" I suppose. This is the room that could potentially be a bedroom (although there is no closet).

Well, there's a few pictures. Our bedroom is pretty well put together, but I would have to make the bed in order to post a picture and I don't really feel like doing that! :) The guest bedroom/office needs some serious decorating help, but we'll get there. I really do like the duplex. The location is great: 7 minutes from OG, about 10 from Dick's Sporting Goods, 3 minutes from Target, 3 minutes from Hy-Vee, 10 minutes from Zona Rosa, 5 minutes from church, and about 1 minute from the hospital! Really, a good location - unless ambulances annoy you, because we do hear those often. I am happy to say we'll live here for a while longer - our landlords are a super cute, nice older couple as well. And we have plenty of room to house visitors here..... :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :) I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commis

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar