Skip to main content

2013 in Review

What a whirlwind year this has been. One year ago tonight, we told our close friends here in KC that Cooper was on the way and had just told our families one week before on Christmas Eve. We were scared, excited, sick (oh wait, that was just me) and anxious for what the year would hold. And here we are, one year later. With a 5-month old Cooper-boy sleeping soundly in the his crib. This is the first year in five that Luke and I haven't hosted a New Year's Eve party. The first year we won't be up past midnight, in fact, I'll be lucky to make it to 10pm. But, I can honestly say, that really doesn't matter to me anymore. We are blessed beyond blessed with our little family of three. Even if it means no more late nights. Wait, we still have late nights....but it's a whole new meaning!

I have a little black tin that holds an index card for each day of the year. On it, I (try) to write important things that happen. Then you can look back and see what you were doing on what days over the years. Here are the highlights from 2013 that was on the cards...
January 22 - Heard the baby's heartbeat
February 23 - First ultrasound at Liberty Women's Clinic; they made us think it was a boy without actually telling us. Since they weren't my primary doctor, they couldn't tell us specifics...but it was pretty obvious!
February 25 - Bought the house we currently live in
April 3 & 5 - Closed on the house and moved in (yes, it was a looooooong process!)
June 8 - Two baby showers in Illinois...one in Ramsey and one in O'Fallon
June 17 - Luke spent the week at CentriFuge in Boliver, Missouri...leaving at home a very pregnant me!
July 30 - Cooper Patrick Henry made his entrance at 1:55pm...weighed 7lb 14oz and was 21in long
September 12 - First road trip to Illinois. If I remember correctly, Cooper slept the whole way. Oh, those were the days!
September 21 - Just two days after returning from our trip, we rushed back to Illinois to spend time with Luke's Grandma Henry. She passed away at the age of 93 on this day. What an amazing lady who left such an amazing legacy.
September 26 - I went back to work (booooo....!)
....And (seriously) that is all that was written in the tin. Obviously, lots has happened since then, especially with Cooper! But apparently, I am too busy to write anything down.

As of today, Cooper is 5 months old. He is rolling, squealing, laughing and overall, a very active boy. While he used to sleep 12 hours straight (again, those were the days), he has been waking up in the night at least once for the past month. Hoping it's a phase that ends soon. At his 4 month check up, he weighed 14lb 3oz and was 26.5in long. The doctor said he is on the skinny side but is very long. So we have a tall, lanky little man! He is currently stretched to the max in his 6 month pants and sleepers, but I just can't bring myself to bust out the 9 month ones yet. Stay small, Cooper, stay small!

While life has changed drastically this year, I can't imagine it any other way. I don't remember what it's like to not have a little piece of my heart laughing and rolling on the floor. I don't remember what it's like to hear the slightest whimper and jump to action (even in the middle of the night). I don't remember what it's like to sleep in. I don't remember how I survived without rocking a little boy to sleep each night. I don't remember how I survived without the joy that Cooper brings. I have no remembrance of what I did, felt, or thought before I was a mommy. And I wouldn't change it for the world.

Looking forward to 2014 and the continued changes it brings. Crawling, walking, talking....it's going to be a great year! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :) I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commis

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar