Skip to main content

Gathering Together + Chocolate Chip Cookies

F
or the last two weeks, my kids have been sick (insert all the frustrated and sad emojis here). This was my first experience with two sick kids and Becca's first illness. It was terrible.

On Day 10 or so of being at home and not exposing our germs to anyone, Cooper looked at me and said, "Mom, it's been a long time since people came over!" I wasn't sure what he meant so I asked if he was talking about his grandma and grandpa  - they were supposed to come over but couldn't because of said sick kids. He replied, "No I just mean any people. No one comes over to eat dinner with us anymore."

Practicing hospitality is one of my favorite things. I love to have people over, gather around the table, eat yummy food and have real conversation. And while we do have guests in our home often, I didn't realize what an impact that made on Cooper. I didn't even realize he would notice if we didn't have anyone over for a couple weeks. My heart filled with joy because I want my kids to learn how to welcome people - all different kinds of people - into their home and their heart.

One of the most important things to keep in mind when inviting people into your home is to keep it simple. Paper plates are fine. In fact, not spending time in the kitchen cleaning up allows time for more conversation. Simple meals are welcomed by the pickiest eaters! One of my go-to treats when we have folks over is chocolate chip cookies. I'll use any excuse to whip up a batch of these because well, they are delicious! I'll take every opportunity I can to eat them!


I encourage you to take a chance and invite people over. Don't worry about a spotless house or a fancy meal. Grab a pizza and whip up some cookies. Focus on the conversation, not making your home perfect. People crave REAL and you can give that to them by letting them come as they are and presenting yourself to them just as you are.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Nestle Toll House

2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 stick butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
Chocolate chips, however many you like

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix together butter and sugars. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time. In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Carefully add dry ingredients to wet and mix well. I use my stand mixer, but you can use a hand mixer also! Lastly, add chocolate chips. Scoop out onto cookie sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes.


Notes - I usually double this recipe because they are yummy. I also tend to under bake them a little so they are crispy around the edges and a little gooey in the middle. Pairs nicely with a big glass of cold milk.

Also, we had friends over last night to eat these actual cookies pictured above. And so Cooper can no longer say "no one is coming over" because we remedied that as soon as we were all healthy again!

Enjoy dear friends!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :) I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commis

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar