Skip to main content

Lies Pastor's Wives Believe: I'm Just a Servant.

O
ne thing about walking into a new church is the excitement that you feel from its members. Anytime we've been the new kids on the block at a church (four times over guys), it's been refreshing to feel the excitement ooze out of the folks waiting for you to plunge into ministry. Shortly after that excitement comes the list of needs...we need a pianist, we need a children's ministry volunteer, we need a secretary, we need someone to clean the toilets, we need... And suddenly you feel as though you are expected to do all the things. We feel like we must fill in all the gaps. Sometimes our church expects us to fill in all the gaps.

Jesus, the guy we are all chasing after, was the perfect Servant. He embodied the fullest aspects of servanthood. His serving abilities were perfection. If we want to be like Jesus, we will serve. Joyfully. He wasn't "just" a servant and neither are you. We are servant leaders, just as He was. We are all servant leaders in the church. This absolutely does not mean you have to say "yes" to all the needs, but it does mean we should display a Christ-like attitude when it comes to serving. Even if it's your turn to clean the toilets.

What happens when we fall prey to feeling as though we are "just" a servant?
  1. We serve out of obligation and not love. Anytime you are serving out of obligation, you will serve with frustration. We must serve out of love or not serve at all.
  2. We serve in areas we are not gifted in and do not excel. When we are serving in an area just because there is a need to be filled, we are not the best person for the job. It's possible that the only person to fill that role for a season is you. And that is okay, but only for a season. The church is a body and all her members must work together for the unity of the church. As you serve to fill a need (which is 100% necessary at times), be on the lookout for someone in your church who has the necessary gifting to be great in that area of service. Sometimes, they just need a little encouragement.
How do we serve in love, with joy and not out of obligation?
  1. Serve wholeheartedly in areas that you bring you joy and that you are good at. You will not serve well doing something you do not enjoy or do not have the abilities or talent to do. If there is no one to serve in that capacity and God is not asking you to fill in, do not feel guilty for saying no.
  2. Say no. You do not have to do everything. In fact, if you do everything, no one else will have the opportunity to serve. The church didn't automatically gain a volunteer to do the things no one else wants to do when you and your husband walked in the door. Be firm, set boundaries, say no.
    1. Piggy-backing on this is evaluating your season of life. I recently blew my cover (haha!) that I could play the piano and stepped into that role during the Christmas season. After that season was over, I evaluated and came to the knowledge that I simply did not have the time to dedicate to playing every Sunday. My church family has not pressured me to play and I so appreciate that. What I'm saying is just because you have a talent or ability, doesn't necessarily mean you must automatically serve in that capacity either. Take stock of your family and your time. It may not be the right season to serve there.
  3. Pray God would give you a servant's heart. Ask God for clarity on where you should be serving. Take a spiritual gift inventory to see where your strength lies. Think about what area of church brings you the most joy and look for opportunities there.
I know, I know, I know that there are never enough people to fill all the gaps in the church. But before you dismiss yourself as just someone who does the things no one else wants to do, consider Jesus. No one else wanted to wash the disciples feet. No one else wanted to eat with tax collectors and sinners. No one else wanted to stand up against the people conducting business inside the temple. No one else wanted to head to the cross. Jesus had compassion on the people and served them. Let's chase after Jesus and strive to serve in love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Behind Me!

Good morning reader friends! I felt as though I hadn't written anything of substance for a while so here goes! I have been attending a Bible study with women who are on campus or have previously been on campus. This past week, someone told me they hadn't seen anyone get through seminary without a car breaking down (in a disastrous way), someone close to them dying, or serious financial woes. My first thought was, "Get me out of here!" But in all honesty, why do seminary families have so many troubles? I can tell you why, Satan is an attacker. An evil being who does not want any human growing in their faith in his nemesis. I remember a few things happening before we even moved that made me think that Satan was attacking us. He was doing everything in his power to make us stay where we were and lose faith in our Lord. But he didn't win, we're here. He's still attacking us though. Luke's job hasn't started yet...every time he calls they tell him t

Clarity, Please?

Job hunting is never fun. Enough said. :) I just got home from my first job interview here in KC. And well, wasn't that interesting? I interviewed with a massage company...for (what I thought) a receptionist position. I got lost on the way there - but on a plus side I totally figured it out and got myself back on track (go me!). I had to drive literally through the city traffic to get there. I got off the interstate and proceed to, in my mind, the ghetto. It probably isn't though - I doubt I've ever been to a real ghetto. During the interview the lady tells me that we are in the ritzy part of town (uh, what?) and that customers will yell at me. Oh, and so will the therapists...I guess they think they run the place since they have a college degree. Um, I have a college degree. She also asked if I was familiar doing sales with a script. It appears that I have to call people and convince them to get a membership to this place. Okay....oh, and I make $8.50 an hour plus commis

KC Adventures

So I've decided that I'm not so good at blogging. I meant to do this at least a couple times a week...not once every two weeks. It's a very busy time in my life so I apologize! I'll try harder! I have decided to focus this blog post on more FUN things! It seems my past posts have been serious tear-jerkers and while I enjoy them...it's time for some fun! Luke and I (the dorks that we are) have created a short list of adventures we would like to embark on when we get to KC. My plan is to document all these adventures and share them with you. This list is just a few things we have found so far...I'm sure it will grow. And as I look over it...most of it seems centered around food and sports. Hrmmm...let's get started. Oh, by the way, these are in no particular order. 1. Kansas City Royals game. No, we are NOT going to disown the Cardinals! We will always be Cardinals fans. However, Royals games are CHEAP! They have BUCK nights and areas of the stadium that ar